Sun, 11 Sept|
Real-world optimization problems with mixed-integer linear programming technology
Prof Fanie Terblanche and Dr Richard Oberdieck present their tutorial for ORSSA 2022 delegates.
Time & Location
11 Sept 2022, 10:00 – 13:00
Breakwater Lodge, Portswood Rd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, South Africa
About the Event
Mixed-integer linear programming is not only an academic concern. It is currently adding value to thousands of companies across the globe by providing solutions to complex decision problems. Mixed-integer linear programming solutions are employed to solve strategic decision-making, as well as operational planning problems.
In this tutorial, we will provide you with the opportunity to formulate mixed-integer linear programming problems within a web-based modeling environment and solve these problems with Gurobi, the fastest mixed-integer programming solver in the world. For this purpose, attendees will make use of an internet browser – no installation of software or licenses will be required.
The following activities will form part of the tutorial agenda.
- Getting acquainted with the modeling environment.
- Making use of binary and integer decision variables for logical decision-making.
- Formulating a well-known combinatorial optimization problem.
- Introducing concepts of strong MIP formulations to improve computing performance.
- Accessing and executing the optimization model from within Excel.
The trial accounts for the modeling environment will still be available for use by the attendees upon completion of the tutorial.
ORSSA 2022 Morning Tutorial